Thursday, August 1, 2013

EC1301 Principles of Economics


Module Description
This course is designed to teach the basic principles of economics to undergraduates from non-economic majors. It introduces students to elementary microeconomic and macroeconomic concepts and provides them with an economic framework to understand the workings of individual markets, the aggregate economy, as well as international trade and finance.

Background: I obtained an A in H1 economics. Take note, only H1 economics. On top of that, I could hardly remember anything from H1 economics because of National Service. However, I thought that the concepts were not too hard to grasp. Most of the topics sounded new to me.

Microeconomics
- Introduction to Economics (Scarcity, choice, opportunity cost)
- Supply & Demand
- Elasticity
- Cost, Production and Profit Maximization
- Market Structure (Perfect Comp, Monopoly, Monopolistic Competition & Oligopoly)
- Economic Efficiency and government's role

Macroeconomics
- Production, Income, Unemployment, Price Level and Inflation
- Classical LR and SR model, Economic Growth
- Fiscal policy, Fluctuations, Keynesian Model
- Money, Banking, Central Banking
- AD-AS model, Macro policy
- Exchange rates

Workload
Two two-hours lecture
This module is covered by two lecturers. Mr Chan Kok Hoe covered macroeconomics. He is okay but not memorable, since I cannot really remember much about him. Dr Connie Chung is very funny! The way she presented the slides kept me awake for most part of her lectures. All in all, the lecturers are alright :)

There is nothing much to say about the lecture notes except that they are all from the textbook. Honestly, for this module, the lecture notes will suffice but if you feel that you don't understand the lecture notes, it is good to use the textbook as supplement.

There is no real need to buy the textbook. During my year, the e-book of the textbook was available to us on Aplia for free. If I am not wrong, it only covers the microeconomics section. (Correction: I was wrong, the book covers macro as well :))

Lectures are webcasted. So if you don't understand anything, you can always watch them. However, during my year, the lectures were held in LT27 and the quality of the webcasts were not very good.

Weekly online assignment on Aplia (Aplia is this online learning platform that replaces tutorials)

Online assignment takes about an hour or less to complete. It is a good habit to call your friends to check answer. During my semester, the weightage was 10% but it is still quite important to grab hold of those marks since this is an "easy" mod. You will need to refer to the textbook to answer some of the question. (textbook provided on Aplia)

Assessment (AY11/12 Sem 1)
10% Weekly online assessment on Aplia.
30% MCQ mid terms
60% MCQ finals (Every semester, the NUS economics society will sell exam solutions. So you can check them out)
Traditionally no negative marking.
The papers are not too hard as long as you are clear of the concepts.

Personal
 I did my own summary in the form of small notes to revise for final exam (the final exam fell on my birthday, so that sucks).
I did above average for mid terms, 27/30
I did okay for the weekly assessment (8 plus?)
I think I did well for finals, hence the result.

Extra notes to readers: I have past year papers and lecture notes. If anyone is interested, download them from my Dropbox.
If you want to know more about the modules I have taken, you may refer to this list or the labels on the right! :D

36 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for your awesome module reviews! I am interested in the EC1301 and ST1131 materials! You can contact me @ 96165960.
    Look forward to hearing from you!

    Cheers,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! May I get the past year papers of EC1301 from you? My email address is celineng.94@gmail.com. Thanks!

    Regards,
    Celine

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, can i get the past yr papers from you? my email address is ch_losn@hotmail.com. Thx in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Can I get the past year papers of EC1301 from you? My email address is ch_losn@hotmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Can I get the past year papers of EC1301 from you too? My email address is ch_losn@hotmail.com. Thank you.

    Cheers,
    Cheng tat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! May I get the past year papers for EC1301 from you? My email is bubbly_girl1@hotmail.com. Thank you so much!

    Regards,
    Justina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Can I too get the past year papers of EC1301? Kinda lost with econs alr haha. My email is xu.yiteng.jervis@gmail.com. Thanks!

    Regards,
    Jervis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Can I get the past year finals papers for EC1301 from you? My email address is chian.qingying@gmail.com. Thank you! :)

    Cheers,
    Qing Ying :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello :) I'm interested in taking EC1301 and ST1131, could you share with me the materials? My email address is angjenny15@gmail.com. Thanks! :)

    Cheers,
    Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Stan! I'm interested in taking this mod as UE in the future and I'd really appreciate it if you can send me the materials for this mod! Thanks so much. My email is lovecherishment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Stan! I'm interested in this mod. Could you forward me the materials? My email address is jsphchee@gmail.com. Very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Can I get the past year paper of EC1301? thanks. My email is jiawee1992@hotmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey man!

    Would be great f you could share you ec1301 final papers and other great materials! :)
    My email is lawtcg@hotmail.com

    Cheers!
    Lawrence Tan

    ReplyDelete
  14. hello! Can I get past final papers for EC1301 from you? My email add is xiyao_92@hotmail.com

    Thankyou so much!

    Jesslin :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello can I get the past year papers of EC1301 from you? This is my email, yonghe91@gmail.com.

    Thanks alot! May the bell curve bless you!

    Cheers,
    Yong He

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Stan! Would you be so kind as to pass me the EC1301 materials via my email (itreallyreallysuckstobeme@gmail.com)? It would really help me out. Many thanks! Great review by the way!

    Regards
    John

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Stan! Great review! I wonder if you could pass me the EC1301 materials via my email(itreallyreallysuckstobeme@gmail.com)? That would really help me out alot. Many thanks!

    Regards
    John

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello!
    Would I be able to get the past year papers for EC1301 as well? If it's not too much trouble,my email is nataliemay322@gmail.com.

    Thank you! Have a great sem ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, could I get the EC1301 papers from you? My email address is a0072350@nus.edu.sg. Thanks in advance!

    Cheers,
    Eugene

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Can I get the past year finals papers for EC1301? my email is jonathantohtf@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. can i get the past year final papers ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi can I get the past year finals paper for EC1301? :) My email is zen.twilight@gmail.com
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, could I get the EC1301 papers from you? My email address is a0072350@nus.edu.sg.

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there, I'm really sorry to read about your loss :(. I hope you're doing fine. Can I please get the lecture notes and past year papers for EC1301 from you? My email is ratpatrol11@hotmail.com Thank you and all the best.

    Regards,
    Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey! Can I get the past year finals papers for EC1301 from you? My email address is shavzyeo@hotmail.com
    Thank you so much! :)

    Cheers,
    Shavinn :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, can I get past year finals/mid term papers for EC1301 from you too? You can email me at myno9jersey@gmail.com

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! Its like a year after you have posted this but im interested in EC1301 so i was wondering if you still have the lecture notes and past year papers? If you do, my email add is madelinekohlayteng@gmail.com. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey there! I am keen in your EC1301 and ST1131 materials. (: My email is hearty52@Hotmail.com. Appreciate your help and hope to hear from you soon (;

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, dont know if u still available. Can I have the past year final papers? My email address is limit_one@yahoo.com

    Thanks
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello, Can I get the past year finals papers for EC1301 from you? My email address is yoqichen@gmail.com. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello! Can I get the past year finals papers for EC1301 from you? My email address is yoqichen@gmail.com. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello, I am interested in EC1301 past year papers but is unable to get them through your dropbox. Could I get them via email? My email is darkzdrake@gmail.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, I had a hard time dealing with EC1301 questions. But I am still hoping to get good grades in the final >_<. Could you please send past year paper to me? My email is wang734908195@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete